Sunday, August 03, 2008

A Great August weekend

Oh my goodness, I had the best time this weekend.

Sat night (Aug 2) I experienced Knockouts Bar & Grill in Florissant. This place is great. It’s a bar, a sports bar in fact. There are lots of tables and chairs and flat screen TVs with different games on each set. The backroom has pool tables and electronic dart boards. I personally prefer the low tech dart boards with real darts and a chalk board. There’s a little living room vibe in that room – complete with its own bar – with a large pull-down screen. And there’s a dance floor with a walled mirror. I was in love. It reminded me of a few of my haunts back home (in Memphis – Imagine Tony’s Bar & Grill on Elvis Presley meets Tidwell’s Late Night Suite on Bellevue…You just don’t know). There’s a live DJ complete with a hype man. It’s a perfect place to take visiting friends and family who just want to get out; and it is definitely the place to go if you want to just have a great time – no pretense.


Sun night (Aug 3) I experienced ContinuOHM – a local band. Now, if you’re not checking out the local music talent in this city you are indeed sleeping. The bad plays a lot of original jazz tunes and covers neo soul standards like Badu, Jill Scott, and Chaka Khan. Blue-eyed Neo Soul I call it, Audra’s voice is so soulful. Members of the band play together and also separately with other local groups. Tonight’s performance was dedicated to bass man Teddy Brookings’ father. They performed at Lucas Park Grill on Washington Street – another great place to visit, but a little she-she and pricey.










But be sure to get out this coming week. And next weekend has so many events going on…it’s gonna be crazy.

See you out and about!

No comments: